Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Dug out, waiting for the next snow

The week before Christmas we got a foot of snow and 9 days later we rec'd another 30" in a 2 day blizzard. Our little town, and the surrounding small communities and farms, are not equiped to handle this much snow. It's been 10 days since the snow stopped and there is just about as much snow on the ground now as there was then. To the west of us is Pueblo, 65 miles. There have been days when we have barely reached 32*, and that's if we've been lucky, and Pueblo has been in the 50's. Alas, today not only is the sun shining, but the temps are up. I'ts almost noon and the temp is 44*. I finally got my van dug out, so if I do need to venture anywhere, I can. I'm not too hip on going anywhere, as the road in front of our house is ice. Walking 70 feet to work is bad enough, I try to walk on the snow as much as possible. At 48 I don't bounce anymore, I just fall.

Last month Glen and I took a road trip to Florida. Rach is living down there now and we took her car to her. All the while I kept thinking how cool it would have been to have a place to write down notes on the trip. But, internet service wasn't available at a lot of our destinations so it wouldn't have done much good. I did take some notes on the laptop, and in the next few days I'll put them here. Doing this will also help me get my pictures onto my webshots page, as I have been lax in getting them organized and dated.

The next storm is expected to get to us Thursday night and last until Sunday. In Colorado, you just never know for sure the route a storm will take until it gets there. So, we are getting prepared, as we don't know what this one will bring. So far, we have had 3 good storms and a snow fall accumulation of about 56". And no, that is not normal for us, or what normal has become the past 15 years or so. We've been lucky to get a foot of snow all winter.

No comments: